Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Strawberries, Raspberries, and finished boxes!

My lovely family helped me put the rest of the boxes together, then filled them with Mel's Mix and planted the strawberries and raspberries. It was a lot of fun work. The kids enjoy playing around in the dirt.



I received my bare root strawberries and raspberries from Gurneys.com last week and needed to get them in. We completed the first grow box and have dedicated it entirely to everbearing strawberries. I did 1 strawberry plant per square foot instead of 3 plants for every 4 squares. I'm sure it will come back to bite me but I had 25 bare root plants and I didn't want to waste them.



I planted the 2 heritage raspberry plants in gorgeous pots. I hope they thrive.




I was so lucky to find vermiculite in Ann Arbor. I called all over and was convinced I would have to drive all the way to Detroit and spend $40 per bag. Luckily, I came across Lodi Farms and scored 3 bags for $14.88 a piece. That's right, 3 bags of 4 cubic feet of vermiculite for $14.88 a piece!!

Anywho....I have a lot of planting to do in the next few weeks, as well as try and revive this terrible lawn. Wish us luck! The previous owners weren't very kind to their yard.

I will leave you with a picture of my youngest, wanting to help me in the garden, but having a hard time opening the door.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know rasberries could grow in pots. I just learned that rasberries is really spelled raspberries and feel like the biggest idiot. I am glad you found vermiculite. Your gardens look awesome. I bet the 4x4 garden is the best way to do a square garden. You will be able to easily access all plants. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They can certainly be grown in containers, but the main problem with that is that raspberries like cool roots, and may fail to thrive if their roots get overheated. If you don't get good fruiting, you may have to move them to a larger and cooler area.

    ReplyDelete