Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Car accidents, dead cucumbers, and blossoms...oh my!

Since moving into our home in January, I've been paranoid about the fast moving traffic on the road behind our house. Our backyard meets up with a curve in the road, making our home a potential target for runaway cars. It's been something I think about several times a week.

While working on the computer a week and a half ago, I heard the fence snap and knew that a car had come off the road. My babies were all downstairs watching a movie...I was terrified that a car was going to come through the living room. When there was no impact, I threw myself out the back door to see a car with it's front end in the neighbors house! I won't get into the details of their attempted drive away, my screaming at them, or the attempt to switch drivers, but it was an experience. I'm glad that my house and family were unharmed, sad for the neighbors, and hope the unlicensed driver learned her lesson.

Here's the aftermath:





On a sad note: My cucumbers died....all of them :(
I replanted this week.

Now for my blossoms...we have strawberry blossoms! This is very exciting. The Gurney's strawberry bare root plants are really taking off. I'm quite impressed.



As for my front yard, I got rid of that hideous red mulch and replaced it with black, and evened out the brick enclosure. I'm not sure what is growing, but it's looking pretty fantastic.





I've planted all of my seeds, either indoors or out, except my beans. I'm giving it another week and a half before I take it all outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment